Thursday, September 22, 2011

Useful expressions and chunks ~ FEEL




1. FEEL:

1.1 feel your age:

definition 1: to realize that you are no longer young
definition 2: to be made ware of your age.

Samples:

1.     I really feel my age when I play with my children on the beach.
2.     He really feels his age when he goes drinking with his friends.
3.     Everybody at the party looked under 30 and I really felt my age.
4.     When I turned 40, I felt my age for the first time.
5.     I never felt my age until I started to lose my hair.
6.     He really felt his age when he struggled to stand up off the floor.
7.     She really felt her age when she became a grandmother for the first time.
8.     I've never felt my age until they told me I was the youngest manager in the company.
9.     There will come a time you will feel your age.
10. You will feel your age after the first 10km of the hike.

 

1.2 feel free (to do something)


definition 1: used to tell somebody that they are allowed to do something
definition 2: used to make something available to someone

Samples:

1.     Feel free to call me at any time.
2.     Please feel free to contact us should you have any further questions.
3.     Feel free to interrupt me at any time.
4.     Feel free to help yourself to coffee and sandwiches.
5.     Feel free to be honest with me.
6.     You may feel free to contact me directly.
7.     You may feel free to comment at any time.
8.     Museums should feel free to charge admission fees.
9.     Companies should feel free to use celebrities to endorse products.
10. We hope that you will feel free to comment and offer suggestions

 

1.2 feel the pinch


definition 1: to not have enough money, to feel financially challenged
definition 2: to experience worse conditions

Samples:

1.     Restaurants are feeling the pinch of rising food prices.
2.     Credit card users are feeling the pinch of higher interest rates.
3.     Even large companies are feeling the pinch of the tough economy.
4.     Tourism is feeling the pinch of global recession.
5.     From next year, home buyers will feel the pinch of higher interest rates.
6.     Consumers will feel the pinch of higher consumer prices for a few more months.
7.     Has your company felt the pinch of the new government trade regulations yet?
8.     America has felt the pinch of the global economic recession at its language schools.
9.     We all have felt the pinch of unusually high rising prices of fuel.
10.  Drivers have felt the pinch of lane closures

No comments:

Post a Comment